SAKALA Annual Reports
Strategic Plan FY2015
1. WITHIN THE CURRENT YEAR, INCREASE MISSION REACH AND MISSION IMPACT THROUGH STRONG YOUTH PROGRAMS
- Establish clear and measurable program goals, and metrics to support mission impact.
- Faithfully measure outcomes, and apply conclusions to future program iterations.
- Offer quality programs by: determining community needs (and specific program desirability), using sports to attract participants for other programs, and searching out beneficiary program ideas (to provide necessary structure).
- Increase program participation through: community outreach, program promotion (using new/emerging advertizing plan).
- Athletics Program: establish “Marathons for Peace” running races within Cite Soleil to showcase the positives of the community.
- Athletics Program: establish an annual nation-wide games tournament focused on Haititans living together in solidarity, and as outreach for Cite Soleil
- Educational Program: establish RaRa band for athletic events and community parades.
2. WITHIN TWO YEARS, INCREASE COMMUNITY PERMEATION BY ENGAGING FAMILIES OF EVERY YOUTH SERVED
- Increase participant benefit by including family members in specific future programs: sex/health education, and attendance at sporting events.
- Increase community literacy by establishing a future Literacy Program for family members of participants.
- Develop a spirit of community service within participant families by requiring certain service hours/attendance in exchange for program services.
3. WITHIN THREE YEARS, ESTABLISH FINANCIAL SELF-SUSTAINABILITY OF CURRENT PROGRAMS
- Grow Jaden Tap Tap to generate self-sustainable income through: compost sales program from collected organic trash (projected for 2015), agronomy education programs, sales of garden produce (Saturday farmer’s market, vegetable baskets for specific customers, prepared food booth with local food), and upgrading current garden facilities to increase production.
- Develop activities to make education programs financially self-sustainable, in order to pay for scholarships through: jewelry making and art program, sales of tire furniture and shoes (aimed at SAKALA visitors).
4. WITHIN FIVE YEARS, DEVELOP FACILITIES TO MATCH CURRENT PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS, AND UPGRADE FACILITIES TO MATCH FUTURE PROGRAM GOALS
- Develop plan for increased utility of facilities through better understanding of community logistics and desires.
- Develop plan to establish clear land ownership rights with the municipality of Cite Soleil.
- showers: develop current showers to higher standard for visiting teams/volunteers
- tennis: develop court
- guesthouse: complete room to house visiting teams/volunteers
- athletics court: develop to include scoreboard, barriers, concrete margins, seating
- painting: re-accomplish full facility painting
- library: develop barrier from office activities
- water: independence through well water
- electricity: independence through generator, upgrade invertor/battery/solar system for more capacity
- sanitation: office toilets
- waste: future garbage contract
- kitchen: upgrading facilities to accommodate visiting teams/volunteers
- baseball: develop field in outlaying area
- futsal: develop 5 courts in outlaying area
- play field: more sports infrastructure with the vision of multi-sport facility, able to host tournaments as well as the people attending tournament
- new Tap Tap garden in Croix des Bouquets
- new micro-gardens Cite Soleil: one garden in each school and church
- purchase and develop farm for income generation
- new SAKALA centers in Croix des Bouquets and Belair
5. WITHIN THE CURRENT YEAR, GENERATE A HIGH QUALITY PARTNERSHIP PLAN, TO STABILIZE FUNDING AND IMPROVE PROGRAM IMPACT
- Develop formalized relationship with established partners and local sponsors, such as: Mennonite Central Committee, potential team sponsors, and the Red Cross.
- Establish professional relationship with local newspaper and radio to utilize advertizing/outreach benefits.
- Develop a plan to form coalitions for purposes of gaining large grants
- Develop a plan to form a coalition with community centers within the US
- Submit requests for partnership to untapped areas of international funding, such as: Pax Christi, USAID, Global Fund for Children, and the international Haitian diaspora.
6. WITHIN THE CURRENT YEAR, DESIGN AND IMPLEMENT HIGHLY EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONS PLAN, TO IMROVE FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES AND PROGRAM REACH
- Establish high-quality website in multiple languages.
- Develop professional relationships with newspapers in French and English, to generate advertizing and outreach benefits.
- Develop professional relationships with medias sources available for public service announcements.
- Develop a Strategic Plan Brochure via print and website, to fulfill donor need .
- Complete FY2015 Annual Report for widespread distribution, and develop Quarterly Reports via email for specific distribution (board members, close associates).
- Develop a program to promote the center to volunteers and employees of other NGOs (including YMCA).
7. WITHIN THE CURRENT YEAR, IMPLEMENT A STRONG ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT PLAN, TO IMPROVE STAFF EFFECTIVENESS
- Develop a strong senior team and Corps d’Elite program, including an external internship program for Corps d’Elite.
- Implement the plan for staff development, training, and recruiting.
- Implement the plan for creation of a board of directors at local level, and the recruiting and training of its members.
8. WITHIN THE CURENT YEAR, IMPLEMENT HIGH-QUALITY FINANCIAL MANAGEMEN PLAN, TO BETTER TRACK FINANCES AND COMMUNICATE MISSION IMPACT
- Establish a rigorous accounting system, to include electronic tracking of: income, donations, in-kind donations, and expenses.
- Create and track financial metrics and their measurement process, to evaluate program impact and health.
- Create effective annual communication to donors, partners, and other interested parties.
9. WITHIN TWO YEARS, ESTABLISH A CONSISTENT Funding and Fundraising Plan, TO NORMALIZE PROGRAM ACTIVITY
- Establish income/expense plan to raise the $120,000 budget for 2016.
- Generate professional relationships with established and new potential donors, such as: Norwegian Church Aid, USAID, Global Fund for Children, Mennonite Central Committee, and new individual donors.
- Invest in long-term income sources, to level program disbursements.
- Develop a plan to establish an endowment fund for the continuance of SAKALA activities.
- Implement a financing plan to create a fund balance and establish a reserve fund.